- The three major science administration in India. The Council of scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) the council for Medical Research and the Department of Biotechnology are getting together to promote research in herbal drugs-some of which involve deriving new from marijuana.
- Research in first clinical human in India to test Cannibal based compounds on select disease.
- Research will test whether strais of marijuana could be effective in the treatment of breast cancer, sickle-call anamemia as well as be”bio equivalent” (similar in makeup and effect”) to marijuana derived drugs already approved by the United States Food and Drugs Administration (US-FDA).
- The Studies into the therapeutic potential of marijuana is a part of a governmental thaust to produce new drugs derived from herbs and plants that fend mention in Ayurvedic and other traditional medicine knowledge systems
Why the study is going on?
- The study towards the clinical trials of cannibals derivates medicine useful in treatment of cancer, multiple sclerosis, and epilepsy/
Marijuana (or Hemp) part of the cannab super-family, is illegal for commercial cultivation though it grows used in several parts of the country- Uttarakhand, Jammu&Kashmir recently Uttar Pradesh have allowed restricted cultivation of the plant for medical research. It is also known as bhang.
According to researchers-marijuana can be used for alleviating pain and muscle stiffness in multiple sclerosis Parkinson’s disease.
Components of Marijuana:-
CBD (Cannabidiol) is a chemical component of marijuana CBD does not cause intoxication or euphoria (THC)
THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) It is the primary psychoactive component of Marijuana
Legality of Marijuana:- It is legal for medical purpose in several U.S. states and has been decriminalized in varying degrees- in Uruguay, Costa Rica, Jamaica & Canada,
- Hemp which refers to the Cannabis plant in its entirely is also used to derive seed-oil and its fiber is used to make fabric.
Legal Framework for Cannabis Cultivation:-
The Narcotic Drugs and Psychoactive substances Act, 1985
The NDPS Act 1985 bans the Commercial Cultivation of Cannabis.
Cannabis plant marijuana does not allowed to an edible preparation called bhaang which is allowed in some states while the bar under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychoactive or Psychotropic substance Act, 1985 is a mjor impediments to the cultivation of cannabis for medical and scientific purpose.
UN Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, 1961:-
The single convention on Narcotic drugs of 1961 Rs an international treaty to prohibit production and supply of specific drugs (normally narcotic) and drugs with similar effect except under licence for specific purposes, such as medical treatment and research.
The single convention refers to drug addiction as a serious evil for the individual (that) is fraught with social and economic danger to mankind.
Marijuana Legalization Talks:-
Cannabis is recognized for medical and scientific research in countries like- some states of U.S., Canada, Australia and some number of other countries across the world however cannabis-derive drugs are not available in India. Which is illegal and doctors cannot prescribe for medicinal use.
Time to escape upon Marijuana:-
Marijuana (bhang) is an edible cannabis commonly available in north India. While Tobacco is not native plant but cannabis (the formal botanical name of plant) is native in India and known for thousands years:- but it is banned for commercial use in India.
- The bar under the Narcotic drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act 1985 requiring Cannabis to be delivered by cultivators to the state government is a major impediment to the cultivation of cannabis for medical and scientific purpose
Marijuana should be Legalized:-
- Legalisation can curb crime-strict enforcement of law can curb crime.
- Legalisaiton also would become beneficial for the society as it would help to combat criminal market.
- Due to drugs illegality, cannabis are sold secretly under ground way and its is a revenue for smugglers.
Cultural Historical Importance:-
Historical importance of marijuana or Cannabis (Bhaang) is coming from the Vedic period notable mention in the Vedic life. It is also can be seen in cultural perspective in India it is consumed by people on Holi for enjoyment.
Before the Drugs Act 1985-Cannabies-(Bhaang, Ganja, Charas, Heroines) were regulated by the state government because it give lots of revenue for the government account and legal for only excise shop.
In market it is sold at high prices if we see the current price then it is approximated USD 7 billion globally and expected to grow in future.
The hemp commission-1894-recommended complete ban on XCannabis.
The Mumbai-based the Bombay Hemp Corporation is also a start ups for the marijuana derived Cannabis
Consumption of cannabis incolonial India was very old and also was sanctioned what would be when Marijuana remained as illegal
Mental Health Problem:-
Marijauna is a hard substances and using it can be dangerous for the health.
Marijuana can be injurious to mental health and can trigger mental health related and can trigger mental health related issues-as the Marijuana components THC Tetrahydrocannabinol has been proved as psychosis.
Consumption of Marijuana is related to maturity of age of person. If a adolescents and younger one would use it then it may be more likely to develop mental health problems later in life.
Marijauna is a Gateway Drug:-
Gateway drug (such as marijauana and alcohol) is thought to lead the use of more dangerous drugs (such as Cocaine or heroin)
In a study it was found that 45% who used marijuana then can also used other Hard drugs.
WHO’s listed disease associated Marijuana:-
WHO has listed some of the following diseases triggered due to consumption of marijuana.
Impairment in Cognitive functioning
Bronchitis and lung inflammation
Marijuana was also used for some inhalants, cough syrup and there were easily available at Pharmacy stores and consuming it caused incessantly addicts.
Keyforwards:- Prohibition and illegalization has not prevented the availability of marijuana in the market.
Regulation allows cannabis buyers to know what they are consuming and moderate that consume according to THC level in the marketed marijuana
Regulation brings cannabis in the basket of tax imposition and imposition of tax on marijuana derived drugs can create revenue for the state and tax collection can be used in welfare of society and on educating peoples of India.